The point of a narrative essay to tell a story, and the point of a descriptive essay it describe something in such a way that the reader can "see" it for himself or herself. The most difficult part of a narrative essay is its narrow focus while the most difficult part of a descriptive essay is its organization.
Frequently students are asked to write a narrative essay that includes lots of description; thus, these two modes have been combined into one guide. Take what you need from the guide and ignore the rest.
This guide will walk you through the steps of getting started and organizing your essay, just the information you need to complete the assignment. For more in-depth information, consult your instructor and course materials.
NOTE: The advice offered here covers the bare minimums in an attempt to help those who are running short on time or unsure of how to get started. Wherever information here conflicts with information provided by your instructor, follow what your instructor says. He or she is the one grading your paper, afterall.
“My mom is the most beautiful woman in the entire world”! Oh, well, that is a start, but it is a weak, incomplete descriptive essay example. Sure, elementary & middle school students can write something like this to earn their As. However, it is not enough to succeed in college writing. It is recommended to read the educating articles and review minimum one example along with the list of descriptive essay topics.
CAN I JUST PAY FOR MY ESSAY?
Students who have no desire to work on their homework assignments all alone can find a quick, affordable solution in the shape of online writing services established by the field experts 10 years ago!
What Are the Descriptive Essay Definition & Purpose?
A descriptive essay is a sort of academic writing, which has to provide a detailed description of the specific person, event, subject, or phenomenon to let the reader visualize or even feel some emotions. A descriptive assignment is something less complicated than argumentative paper. It is not necessary to come up with the powerful thesis statement and defend it with the help of different arguments. All the student has to do is provide the details.
“The primary goal of a descriptive essay is to let the reading audience understand and visualize the specific thing by improving the general knowledge of the topic. To succeed, the student should focus on playing with human senses. 5 basic human senses can influence the mood, decision, and perception of people:
Professor Maverick, university dean & online editor at NerdyMates
Descriptive Essay Example Shared by the Smart Student
To become a successful essay writer, the student should start treating it as the piece of art. A description essay allows releasing the entire imagination supported by the author’s hidden knowledge & talents. Draw a general picture to explain the way things work. The secondary purpose is to leave a huge impression on the reader.
Another thing every student must know to learn how to write a descriptive essay is the role of a purpose, which the paper should deliver to the target reader. It could be the author’s experience, example, influence, etc. Instead of talking, review a good descriptive essay example below:
Eliza’s Big Dream
It was another sunny day in Los Angeles, California. Eliza, a cute ginger girl of 12 years old, was sitting at home doing her homework. Her head was up in space. She was distracted by five handsome guys wearing a lot of make-up and sexy trousers performing at the talent show. She could not take her eyes from them! The vocalist was all in glitters, with the pink lips and high heels, all covered by metal accessories. She was amazed by the strong voice of the band’s sweet leader with long blonde hair. Second, she was thinking about gathering own band to deliver her messages to the wide audience. Eliza had no special talents, but she decided to buy a guitar and start playing; she hoped to achieve the same heights as her new favorite band.
Where Can I Get Some Good Descriptive Essay Examples?
If you want more descriptive essay examples like the one added in the previous section, there are several easy ways to obtain high-quality samples of academic papers. The student may search on the Internet, in the college library, or some city archive. The stories written by the best American and British authors serve as the perfect narrative essay examples as well. Perhaps, the smartest solution is to go directly to the professional writing service where there are thousands of free essay examples that students can view before placing an order. The example is attached.
“I will never forget my first visit to Barcelona. It is a magnificent city, full of architectural innovations, freaky fashion, historical mysteries, beautiful, sun-tanned people with dark hair and sincere smiles. Every corner is imbued with freedom. No matter where the tourist goes, the city is full of wonders. On one side of Barcelona, they have their famous Olympic Stadium, built in a modern style, large and loud as a hell when the match is on; on the other side of the city, Sagrada Familia, a famous church built by Gaudi in the gothic, grotesque, and empire style is standing. Other sights are breathtaking too…”
How to Write a Descriptive Essay
From one side, it is a narrative, which requires no more than a detailed description of one or more subjects/places/events/persons chosen by the writer. On the other side, certain academic rules are applicable for any type of paper.
Descriptive Essay Outline
To understand how to write a descriptive essay at a high level, the student should go into the descriptive essay outline. It is not an obligatory part of your writing, but it serves as the writer’s table of contents: it helps not to get lost during the process of writing.
This type of paper has a simple, clear structure. Most of other academic assignments have the same structure & organization. By memorizing this academic paper outline, the student will understand how to complete any academic assignment.
How to Write Introduction of a Descriptive Essay
A student has chosen to discuss a natural disaster - tornado. In his introduction, he should try to catch an eye of the target reader. A good idea is to offer shocking facts & statistics that prove how disastrous tornado phenomenon can be to the entire population. It is critical to list the specific aspects of the tornado – there are many of them. A student should narrow down the broad topics.
To sum up, an introduction exists to complete several functions:
- Define the target audience
- Assess the topic
- Describe the subject in brief
- Propose valuable information
- Keep focused
- Provide hints
- Appeal to the reader’s heart!
How Does Descriptive Essay Thesis Look Like?
A student will never understand how to write a descriptive essay without knowing the value of a good thesis statement. Work on the thesis statement once you decide on the topic.
- Check whether the thesis statement, which is a single sentence in the introduction’s conclusion, is to the point by testing its clarity and relevance.
- Stay argumentative in the chosen method – avoid responding to the set questions or obvious hints in the thesis.
- A thesis statement should not be longer than 1 or 2 sentences.
How to Write a Conclusion for a Descriptive Essay?
The article will not focus on the body paragraphs. A single thing to keep in mind is that the supporting details along with in-text citations go in this section of an essay. These 3 supporting details could be wind, rain, and thunder (coming back to our example).
A conclusion is the closing section of any writing. It should describe the feeling of the author regarding tornados in his region. They can be either positive or negative. An example of positive feelings: “Even though tornados destroy entire towns and take human lives, I love the way this natural disaster looks. It is beautiful and magnificent yet gloomy and scary”. Like in a reflective writing, the author can share his emotions. A descriptive paper’s conclusion should contain a summary of the body paragraphs; no extras like forecasts are required.
Discover Effective Methods to Select the Subject to Describe
By viewing some good descriptive essay examples, it is possible to decide on the thing or event you wish to talk about. It should be something/someone the student knows better than anyone else so that research will become a useless writing stage – save your time!
- Selecting a person. Pick the person you know for a while from your surrounding or media to provide details on his/her actions/behavior/appearance. The simplest way is to choose one of the family members. Another great idea is to describe the character of a favorite book, television show, film, cartoon, stage, politics, etc.
- Location (place) & object. It would be nice to choose a memorable place. Several good ideas include educational institutions (from high school to college), part-time job, sports club, café. Another hint is to come up with the imaginary place and describe it as a real one.
- Pick an emotion to create content. It is not easy to describe emotions unless the person is feeling something special at the particular moment. Select the most sincere emotion, which took a while to feel it. Those could be love, passion, disappointment, sadness, desire, temptation, excitement, anger, loss, happiness, rage, etc. a self-hatred is a rather interesting one.
THAT’S IT! I WANT YOUR HELP NOW
40 Simple Descriptive Essay Topics to Catch an Eye of Your Teacher
Review the full list of exciting descriptive essay topics. We have divided the list into 4 different categories. It helps to determine which ideas are a bit less complicated and which are at an advanced level.
Descriptive Essay Topics for Grade 8
- The way from home to school
- Personal most treasured gift from a beloved one
- The ingredients of the perfect vegetable salad
- The trip on an airplane from New York to London and back
- Close friend’s preferred hideout in hide & seek
- Most dangerous place the author has visited in his life
- A note on the school’s sports event, which takes place every year
- What is the best habit of your mom?
- How would a spaceship look like from the inside?
- What is the most delicious meal you have ever tasted?
Topics for Descriptive Essays High School
- The best painting the author made during his life
- Describe a visit to the local cemetery with the focus on personal feelings
- The things people can notice in the emergency room
- Feelings associated with the first kiss
- The process of painting
- Best friend’s appearance
- Favorite pet
- The way to write an essay
- The most gloomy life episode
- Any type of addiction
Descriptive Essay Topics for Middle School
- My favorite teacher
- How a typical souvenir from the UK looks like
- Feelings most people share when performing on stage
- Being on a date with the guy of a dream
- The ideal girlfriend
- Top gifts to give on Christmas Day
- A visit to grandpa
- Moving to a new home
- Acting in a school play
- Favorite TV hero
Descriptive Essay Topics for College
- Feelings & emotions expressed during the particular play
- The worst day in academic life
- First day on college campus
- Relationships with other college students
- Personal role model
- A prominent figure who has a great impact on the author’s thoughts & actions
- What it feels like meeting with your ex?
- What do people feel when attending Rome?
- How did the last Christmas party look like?
- Describe the combination of feelings one feels when doing some extreme sports
It is not obligatory to choose from this list of great descriptive essay topics. The good idea is to collect other excellent ideas. Search in the college library, on the Internet, from your friends, and bookshops.
Our authors have armed you to teeth with a good descriptive essay example, several tips, and methods to structure the final paper. Is there something more our team could do? If yes, the best thing to offer every student is the professional online writing help, tested by thousands of students from the UK, the US, and other English-speaking regions. Give us your assignment, and you won’t believe your eyes!